Friday, May 22, 2015

Final Blog

This is my last blog post for this school year! As a senior, I have spent a lot of time reflecting on what I've learned and how I've changed over the past four years. If I were to pass on a message by means of a TED talk or if I were to teach a class, I would describe the power of dialogue as a means of change. So often people resort to violence or do nothing to change their understanding of a current situation, yet something as simple as communication can bridge that gap.

I first became exposed to the idea of dialogue as a means of change through the wonderful nonprofit Hands of Peace, which I've talked about my experience in here. It seems to be almost too simple, but is the only way to resolve conflict. I know a man who works with prisoners and their victims or the families of their victims to bring peace to both sides, and it is one of the most powerful systems in place to change prisoners. Even in cultural differences, one of the most effective ways to alter preexisting notions is to talk to a different side.

Dialogue is an extremely powerful form of education, because it brings a human element to any situation. Even the ability to express an idea in a classroom can be a powerful way to be exposed to different perspectives.

The first thing I entered high school as a shy 14-year-old, and I am leaving with experiences I didn't know I was capable of doing, such as writing for Spur of the Moment or being in fall play for four years. By learning how to communicate effectively in and out of the classroom, I grew more than I ever expected.


My plan of study next year is to major in Peace Studies with a minor in Creative Structures. Through the two, I will study the basis of conflict and and the basis of the arts. Hopefully, I can assist in changing the way people communicate with each other and themselves.

It's been quite the adventure keeping this blog. Some of my favorite posts have been my post on modern artimprov, social media in conflict, and comedy as a means for change. I hope this blog has inspired my readers and classmates to keep an eye out for how things are changing in the world around us. This is where we are now. 


Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment